Join our Discord Channels!
Join our Steam Groups! Image TacBF Mod & TacBF Event Notifications.
@CBA_A3 & TacBF updated. | Get TacBF Launcher!
Recent updates applied: @CBA_A3 3.3.1-170504, @TacBF 3.24.10. (13 May 2017)
Image $ Please donate a little, to keep server. - Read more...

TacBF Launcher and Installer

Advice regarding Downloads for TacBF and other official addons.
Various installation guides for players and server hosters.

Moderator: Gunther.S

Stacktrace
Community Member
Community Member
In-game Name:

Re: TacBF Launcher and Installer

Postby Stacktrace » 11 Apr 2016, 21:30

Yes, I've noticed this today as I routinely run a scan of the launcher with virustotal.
On friday the file was marked as clean but today (or yesterday, I'm not sure) they started "detecting" it as generic malware (hence the malware-gen name). "Generic" means they have not even looked at the executable themselves but their heuristic algorithm has decided that it's probable the file is malware :(.

I've already sent a false positive report to Avast. Now, the only thing that we can do is wait. If you want to speed this up, you can also report a false positive yourself (to put more pressure on Avast).

Basically, you just have to write that you're using a launcher for an Arma mod. It's open source, its source can be obtained here ( https://bitbucket.org/tacbf_launcher/tacbf_launcher/src ) and it's packaged using PyInstaller.

As to the reasons for what's happening, my guess is that:
1) The launcher is written in python and then packaged to exe using pyInstaller.
2) Some malware is also written in python and also uses pyInstaller to generate an exe.

What does the Avast employee do? "Simple! Let's flag everything that uses those parts of code [pyinstaller libraries] as malware! Great, I can go back to watching cats again!".
Last edited by Stacktrace on 11 Apr 2016, 23:32, edited 1 time in total.
I talk about you with Adanteh sometimes, like:
"Adanteh, what the f***? Where the f*** does this guy get so much motivation to do this? He is really f*** professional finishing a launcher for a game he doesnt play!"
- Gunther.S

Stacktrace
Community Member
Community Member
In-game Name:

Postby Stacktrace » 11 Apr 2016, 23:26

As a workaround for people using Avast, here is how to add an exception for the launcher:

1) First disable the AV for 10 minutes. (right click on the icon -> avast shield control -> disable for 10 minutes)
2) Download the launcher: https://bitbucket.org/tacbf_launcher/ta ... uncher.exe
3) Create an exception in Avast:
4) Remember to enable the protection again, the same way you disabled it!

Unfortunately, just adding an url exception instead of turning the AV off to download the file is not possible as it will still block the file regardless. :evil:
"Adanteh, what the f***? Where the f*** does this guy get so much motivation to do this? He is really f*** professional finishing a launcher for a game he doesnt play!"
- Gunther.S

dinked
Newb
Newb
In-game Name:

Postby dinked » 16 Apr 2016, 20:25

Please help it gives me a download error when it supposedly finishes downloading. I'm using google chrome! :oops:

Stacktrace
Community Member
Community Member
In-game Name:

Postby Stacktrace » 17 Apr 2016, 17:29

I don't know how do you want to get help if you don't specify what error you see.
Are you using Avast?
- Gunther.S

Stacktrace
Community Member
Community Member
In-game Name:

Postby Stacktrace » 20 Apr 2016, 08:09

Good news: according to Virustotal, Avast users should not get any warning anymore!
- Gunther.S

Schadler17
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
In-game Name: Schadler17

Postby Schadler17 » 24 Apr 2016, 09:31

When trying to use for the first time on a new PC, install button doesn't show. Instead, it shows "Placeholder"

Any tips to fix? Gonna have to go with manual for now.
Do I care if you hate me? Do you wanna know the truth?
C'est la vie, adios, good riddance, f*** you.

Stacktrace
Community Member
Community Member
In-game Name:

Postby Stacktrace » 24 Apr 2016, 09:39

Schadler17 wrote:Any tips to fix?

Well... you could start by not ignoring the big message that shows up just before the situation that you described? :)
- Gunther.S

BlueDarkness
Newb
Newb
In-game Name: BlueDarkness

Postby BlueDarkness » 24 Apr 2016, 09:42

Stacktrace wrote:Good news: according to Virustotal, Avast users should not get any warning anymore!

I confirm. Avast no longer gives virus detection reports. Keep up the good work :) you made arma great again!

Schadler17
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
In-game Name: Schadler17

Postby Schadler17 » 24 Apr 2016, 09:43

Stacktrace wrote:
Schadler17 wrote:Any tips to fix?

Well... you could start by not ignoring the big message that shows up just before the situation that you described? :)

Didn't see a big message, closed it and tried a second time and still the same. Unless your talking about the Teamspeak not being installed, but forcing teamspeak to be installed just to download? I dont wanna talk to anyone for the next 2-3 hours of downloading D: Lol
Do I care if you hate me? Do you wanna know the truth?
C'est la vie, adios, good riddance, f*** you.

Stacktrace
Community Member
Community Member
In-game Name:

Postby Stacktrace » 24 Apr 2016, 09:46

TFR is a mod required by TacBF.
TeamSpeak is required by TFR. You can't fully install the TFR plugin without TS in the system.
- Gunther.S

Return to “Downloads & Installation Advice”