Join our Discord Channels!
Join our Steam Groups! Image TacBF Mod & TacBF Event Notifications.
@CBA_A3 & TacBF updated. | Get TacBF Launcher!
Recent updates applied: @CBA_A3 3.3.1-170504, @TacBF 3.24.10. (13 May 2017)
Image $ Please donate a little, to keep server. - Read more...

Sniper guide

An area to discuss systems and ways of completing objectives and share tutorials.
Pabloloco
Ranked
Ranked
In-game Name: Pablo

Sniper guide

Postby Pabloloco » 08 Jun 2016, 20:33

Hello guys Pablo here, first time doing a guide here, you are free to criticise it.

To begin with let's talk about what a sniper is:

A sniper is an infantry unit which provides long range support and recon, a good sniper helps the team, he isn't a killing machine, keep that in your heads.

This unit MUSTN'T be detected, a sniper tends to be in areas which are very difficult to discover by the enemy, by adding the distance and the camouflage, it must be a very difficult target to spot.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Loadout

A sniper need some important things: Sniper rifle, rangefinder, camouflage uniform (Optional), a good ammount of magazines, secondary for CQB, Short Wave radio and if you can a long wave one (so you can advise allies for very important targets fast)

Team

This is subjective, you can be with a SL but what I recommend you is to go in a sepparated team, a sniper team can have up to 2 member which is the sniper and the spotter (Last one isn't very useful in TB but if you can, get one). You go in a separate one in order to have a calm environment and because you aren't going to meet with your team-mates very often.

Setting an OP(Observation Post)

You need to select a spot which allows you to see almost all the places where the enemy can be, as well as a place which is like 800 m away from your main objective, remember to always keep a distance. After you marked it on the map, set an escape plan and more OPs so if the first one you marked has a bad spot, you can go to other one. About setting an escape plan, is very important to think as an enemy will do. Mark a path to a solid cover or just a small bush if can't move very far away. IMPORTANT FACT: When playing PVP you need to know that people will look for a hill if they hear a sniper shoot. Keep that in mind so, instead of going to the highest point of the map, you just go to a low one with some bushes and cover. This will confuse a lot the enemy, and you will be more efficient as a sniper.

Arriving to an Observation Post

As a sniper you need to avoid being detected while moving to a position, if you get detected, they will kill you, you are a very dangerous unit. Avoid running for too much, always keep your head down, don't walk through high places, the human shape is very easy to recognise, always walk through valleys or places with low height. If your OP is a hill (which is very common) start crawling a bit before you reach the highest point so they can't spot you.

Reconing the area

Take out your binos,rangefinder,laser designator... Whatever with a magnification, or just use your scope. Scan the area for enemies, and hostile things such us .50 cal and this stuff. Meanwhile you are watching, mark it on the map so all your allies can see what the enemy is doing. If you see something which is approaching to your teammates be sure to say it by using your long range radio if you can or telling it to your squad lead.

Engaging targets

This is the part we all prefer, firing. A sniper,as I said, needs to be unspotted so if you fire very often tehy will detect you and kill you. You need to kill the most valuable targets like a AT soldier. When you are ready to fire be sure to check your surroundings so no one can know where did the shoot came from exactly. Check the range, zero your scope and fire. When you fired be sure to hold left click till the bullet reached the ground(this in bolt action rifles) and releasing it when the bullet dropped. Be sure to fire only 2 shoots per half a minute, this is because they can hear the shoot and see the muzzle.

Conclusion

As a sniper make your movements with lots of caution and always remain undetected, fire when necessary and remember to give intel to the team, you are watching what a normal rifleman can't!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is all for this guide, there're lots of point which I haven't mentioned here because this is TB not real life so I adjusted the guide to the game. The best way you can help me and the community is to comment the negative factors about this guide so I can improve and make a better one in a future. I like to expose what I know and what helped me. Sorry for the bad english and bad spelling, I'm Spanish heheh.

Hope this helped you guys and see you on the battlefield ;)
Bolt actions speak louder than words.

crayon
Community Member
Community Member
In-game Name: crayon

Re: Sniper guide

Postby crayon » 16 Jun 2016, 00:38

nice one
It is highly unlikely you will find a lasting solution to a problem if you do not adequately comprehend the origin of that problem.

"an appeaser is someone who feeds a crocodile hoping that he will be eaten last"

Marksman
Ranked
Ranked
In-game Name: Marksman

Postby Marksman » 16 Jun 2016, 02:07

Pabloloco wrote:sniper and the spotter (Last one isn't very useful in TB but if you can, get one)

I stopped reading here.

A proper sniper team NEEDs a spotter, witch is the squad leader, cares about situation awareness, deals with comms, and "most important" increases the squad efficiency by far. Saying that a spotter is optional to a good sniper is simply bulls***.

Don't you hate when you have to switch everytime between rifle and rangefinder? That's what the damn spotter is for.

Building a sniper squad with Squad Leader+Sniper is the best way, allows use of SRP, is capable of designating laser targets, can deal with every enemy from close to very far and can have an impressive rate of accurate fire compared to the sniper alone.

Last time i spotted for syntax then enemy team didn't even realize where the fire was coming from until the mission was over, because they didn't even have time to pick they're heads out that i would spot them, pass range and bearing to the shooter and they were dispatched in seconds.

At the very end, a brave marksman identified the general direction ans started moving towards us, too bad i had my assault rifle. You can imagine how it ended.

#spotterlivesmatter
Suggestion machine, 'cause my way is better until proven not.

crayon
Community Member
Community Member
In-game Name: crayon

Postby crayon » 16 Jun 2016, 11:45

Spotters are much less relevant in TacBF due to the simplified ballistics of the ARMA 3 engine and the total reliability and instant updating and sharing of map markers.

Good snipers are going to be constantly ranging target reference points within their arc of observation and taking test shots at positions which the enemy is likely to use according to METT-TC whenever the squad is static and good squad leaders will probably choose to give the sniper a bit of time to do this and keep the extra manpower rather than to assign essentially 2 men to one job.

The relevance of a second man to provide local security and situational awareness for the sniper is another story.
It is highly unlikely you will find a lasting solution to a problem if you do not adequately comprehend the origin of that problem.

"an appeaser is someone who feeds a crocodile hoping that he will be eaten last"

Pabloloco
Ranked
Ranked

Postby Pabloloco » 16 Jun 2016, 15:50

Marksman wrote:
Pabloloco wrote:sniper and the spotter (Last one isn't very useful in TB but if you can, get one)

I stopped reading here.

A proper sniper team NEEDs a spotter, witch is the squad leader, cares about situation awareness, deals with comms, and "most important" increases the squad efficiency by far. Saying that a spotter is optional to a good sniper is simply bulls***.

Don't you hate when you have to switch everytime between rifle and rangefinder? That's what the damn spotter is for.

Building a sniper squad with Squad Leader+Sniper is the best way, allows use of SRP, is capable of designating laser targets, can deal with every enemy from close to very far and can have an impressive rate of accurate fire compared to the sniper alone.

Last time i spotted for syntax then enemy team didn't even realize where the fire was coming from until the mission was over, because they didn't even have time to pick they're heads out that i would spot them, pass range and bearing to the shooter and they were dispatched in seconds.

At the very end, a brave marksman identified the general direction ans started moving towards us, too bad i had my assault rifle. You can imagine how it ended.

#spotterlivesmatter

I'm talking about an INDEPENDENT sniper team, of course if you are with a squad, you'll follow SL's orders and it's better in some cases, but, here you don't need a spotter UNLESS you are going to be a close combat sniper, that's other thing. But for long distances here is no rellevant, when you are getting the spotter role (I mean, not to select it, to be it) you are helping to give distances and to defend 1 guy loosing one important role such as grenadier which could be more effective, that's my idea

Pabloloco
Ranked
Ranked

Postby Pabloloco » 16 Jun 2016, 15:51

Pabloloco wrote:
Marksman wrote:

#spotterlivesmatter

Of course is always better to have an spotter :)

Pabloloco
Ranked
Ranked

Postby Pabloloco » 16 Jun 2016, 15:53

crayon wrote:nice one

Ty dude

Marksman
Ranked
Ranked
In-game Name: Marksman

Postby Marksman » 16 Jun 2016, 18:57

Pabloloco wrote:
I'm talking about an INDEPENDENT sniper team, of course if you are with a squad, you'll follow SL's orders

A team is still a team no matter where you are, otherwise you are a lonewolf. I think you misunderstood.

A sniper should never be near the action, as he simply loses effectivness. It's the marksman witch is part of the infantry squad and helps pick up distant targets while still performing as a rifleman.

Of course in a low player situation there might be a tradeoff between having a spotter or something else, but still i prefer having one as it makes a so huge difference that it might balance that loss.
Like when people drive away in an IFV or tank with just gunner and driver, that sucks so much. Compared to a 3 man crew is 90% less effective and 200% more likely to just blow up.
That'because the gunner can only see where he is shooting and has generally poor sights designed especially to do that, while the commander can have 360° field of view almost instantly plus the gunner witch covers an other sector.
That's basically the same thing as a spotter for the sniper: while the shooter is "busy" with a target a whole squad might sneak under his nose; a spotter would see that maintaining situation awarwness and giving quick target references for an effective shot.
Suggestion machine, 'cause my way is better until proven not.

Pabloloco
Ranked
Ranked

Postby Pabloloco » 17 Jun 2016, 12:41

Marksman wrote:
Pabloloco wrote:
I'm talking about an INDEPENDENT sniper team, of course if you are with a squad, you'll follow SL's orders

A team is still a team no matter where you are, otherwise you are a lonewolf. I think you misunderstood.

A sniper should never be near the action, as he simply loses effectivness. It's the marksman witch is part of the infantry squad and helps pick up distant targets while still performing as a rifleman.

Of course in a low player situation there might be a tradeoff between having a spotter or something else, but still i prefer having one as it makes a so huge difference that it might balance that loss.
Like when people drive away in an IFV or tank with just gunner and driver, that sucks so much. Compared to a 3 man crew is 90% less effective and 200% more likely to just blow up.
That'because the gunner can only see where he is shooting and has generally poor sights designed especially to do that, while the commander can have 360° field of view almost instantly plus the gunner witch covers an other sector.
That's basically the same thing as a spotter for the sniper: while the shooter is "busy" with a target a whole squad might sneak under his nose; a spotter would see that maintaining situation awarwness and giving quick target references for an effective shot.

Good point there, I agree but there're going to be few situations in which you will need a rifle to cover you, as far as I'm concerned you don't need spotter in maps with very low population, but it's always better to have one. And not too much people likes the idea of being spotter, someones think is boring (it isn't of course)

Clay
Community Confidant
Community Confidant
In-game Name:

Postby Clay » 17 Jun 2016, 17:39

Shortest sniper guide ever:
Don't go sniper.
U're welcome ;)

Return to “Tactics and Tutorials”