Join our Discord Channels!
Join our Steam Groups! Image TacBF Mod & TacBF Event Notifications.
@CBA_A3 & TacBF updated. | Get TacBF Launcher!
Recent updates applied: @CBA_A3 3.3.1-170504, @TacBF 3.24.10. (13 May 2017)
Image $ Please donate a little, to keep server. - Read more...

Squad Leading for Dummies

An area to discuss systems and ways of completing objectives and share tutorials.
Sevuzo
Ranked
Ranked
In-game Name:

Squad Leading for Dummies

Postby Sevuzo » 19 Aug 2015, 23:19

After having a few (rather frustrating) games with incompetent squad leaders in the past week I decided to put some effort in by writing down a brief "guide" for those of you who want to step up thier game as Squad Leaders (SL).

Summery
Since you are obviously reading this I assume that you are familiar with basic game mechanics (ARMA controls, TacBF medical and map marking system, TFR...) If you are not familiar with these I STRONGLY recommend that you familiarize yourself with these features and overall mod, as SL you are required to be (at least) a competent rifleman to begin with.

1. Communication
Can't stress this enough, as SL you are mostly measured by your ability to assess a situation, figure out a plan and get your squad to execute that plan, keep in mind that even the best plan won't work if you don't communicate it to your squad members and make sure it is being executed correctly.
If you are a silent type who rather not speak or direct his squad members you are seriously hindering your role as SL.

I always recommend picking an unoccupied channel as soon as forming the squad, this will prevent unrelevant chatter from other teammates that would otherwise interfere with your squad's communication.
After picking your short range channel I recommend communicating with other squads over long range radio (LR), doing this will allow you to plan with them your team starting strategy and decide what role each squad will take, as the game go on keep in touch with other SLs or assets to better coordinate your plan and to prevent awkward situations (someone said friendly fire?)
A great TFR video guide can be found here http://www.tacticalbattlefield.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2252 by T.Mace

2. Awareness
A good SL is always aware, not only of his and his squad surroundings but the entire map, on the macro level, always keep an eye on what objective is being contested, is the team on offence or defence? location of friendly forces and assets and how can you make a use of them, where is your team most needed (objectives wise and not kills wise). On the micro level keep an eye on your squad members position and formation regarding to your terrain, communicate to them if you want something done in a different way.

A good SL should spend every idle moment looking at the map, the map is your chessboard, use it frequently and keep it updated with information as much as possible, enemy armor, infantry, static weapons marked on the map will allow your whole team to better adjust to enemy forces movement, also try as much as possible to also give verbal indication (on both short and long range radio) to make sure the info won't go unnoticed.

3. Your Squad
After creating your squad and selecting a radio channel take a second to look at the map, objectives, terrain and friendly and enemy assets.
Quickly think what role you want your squad to take, how many squad members you will need to do so and what kits they should pick and last what vehicles to use in order to get there, If your squad is going to provide recon there is no sense in taking an engineer with you nor having half the team in your squad with you doing "recon" while all the objective are being steamrolled by the enemy for lack of resistance.

It's your job to make sure everyone are on the right channel and have the proper kits at all times, I recommend kicking uncooperative members from your squad and try to replace them with more competent ones if possible. Once your squad if full I recommend to lock your squad, doing so will force others to join other squads instead of auto joining yours with "must join biggest squad public mentality", its better to have 4 squads of 5 than 2 of 10 (but that's a whole other section to itself..)

4. FO's and RP

Before leaving main base for the first time during the initial first assessment of the map check if you and your squad can take an FO crate with you and try to deploy it as fast as possible, well placed FO's are having a tremendous effect on your whole team performance ( fo real), doing so will allow your team to contest objectives better, diminish unnecessary travel time and allow your team to take control of a zone or even zones on the map.

A good place for FO will usually be in a hidden position, elevated ground which control a crucial zone or objective and easily defended, I recommend FO's to be established to further than 400m from an objective. Poorly placed FO's will actually hurt your team,an exposed poorly defended FO will result in free kills to your enemy and wasted tickets on your behalf, an FO far away from objectives will make your team waste precious time traveling and maybe getting picked along the way enemy.

RP are a more dynamic spawn point for your squad members only, same pointers for FO's are valid for RP but due to them being easier to deploy I reccomend relocating when the need arise (before assaulting, after performing a flank..etc), try to put your RP a bit back from where the fight is about to take place so it won't get blocked by the enemy prevent your dead squadmates from respawning.

That's it for now, I might update it more when I have more time/feedbacks. Thanks for reading and hope to see you in-game.

Gunther.S
Admin
Admin
In-game Name:

Re: Squad Leading for Dummies

Postby Gunther.S » 20 Aug 2015, 02:18

Great stuff, thanks for writing this up! Now if only we had enough squad leaders taking the initiative with things like this.

As for feedback for the guide, pretty spot on! ;)

Swedge
Community Genius
Community Genius
In-game Name:

Postby Swedge » 20 Aug 2015, 05:03

Good post Sevuzo.

I still get dudes asking me sometimes about 'that di** guide' I wrote 4 years ago. It was written for the spiritual predecessor to TacBF called Project Reality: Arma 2, so a few of the technical specifics are no longer exactly accurate for TacBF but some people might still find it useful.

Cheers,
Swedge

lietuvis10
Community Member
Community Member
In-game Name:

Postby lietuvis10 » 20 Aug 2015, 16:57

Lovely guide, hopefully it will encourage more people to squad lead. althou' there is often that squad leaders are unable to command their team effectively, for example to disengage. I often had situations where while leading my squad would stop to engage some random dude in the distance. And until that dude is dead, good look getting them on the move.

Sevuzo
Ranked
Ranked
In-game Name:

Postby Sevuzo » 20 Aug 2015, 17:08

lietuvis10 wrote:Lovely guide, hopefully it will encourage more people to squad lead. althou' there is often that squad leaders are unable to command their team effectively, for example to disengage. I often had situations where while leading my squad would stop to engage some random dude in the distance. And until that dude is dead, good look getting them on the move.

In that case I would try to tell them directly to disengage and if ignored would simply kick out of the squad, those RP tickets shouldn't be wasted on players like that.

I'm going through your guide Swedge and it looks good, I recommend everyone to read it as has lots of valid points who are still valid on TacBF!
Thanks for the feedback so far guys, I know it still missing some important points and I will try to update it when time allow it.

mad rabbit
Community God
Community God
In-game Name:

Postby mad rabbit » 21 Aug 2015, 10:16

Sevuzo wrote:
lietuvis10 wrote:Lovely guide, hopefully it will encourage more people to squad lead. althou' there is often that squad leaders are unable to command their team effectively, for example to disengage. I often had situations where while leading my squad would stop to engage some random dude in the distance. And until that dude is dead, good look getting them on the move.

In that case I would try to tell them directly to disengage and if ignored would simply kick out of the squad, those RP tickets shouldn't be wasted on players like that.

In my experience, this problem primarily occurs in a squad that is ill informed of the larger picture of your current task. For example, is your squad searching for RES to kill for intel (= shoot on sight) or are you trying to sneak-up to a better position (= hold fire). If the squad members know this 'larger picture' they tend to know when and when not to fire.

However as you rightfully put, some will ignore your commands to disengage and you need to treat these players like a 'rabid dog on a leash'. These players can be best utilised 'on-point'. If they want to bring the heat onto themselves, let them, but at a safe position from the bulk of the squad. It's the 'drifters' i.e. doing their own thing, that I tend to kick more readily than the 'over-eager' players.

I've always found the "The Gamers You Lead" points in the 'Leadership' section of Dslyexcxi's Tactical Guide to be a great guide for squad leading.

lietuvis10
Community Member
Community Member
In-game Name:

Postby lietuvis10 » 21 Aug 2015, 13:35

mad rabbit wrote:
Sevuzo wrote:

In my experience, this problem primarily occurs in a squad that is ill informed of the larger picture of your current task. For example, is your squad searching for RES to kill for intel (= shoot on sight) or are you trying to sneak-up to a better position (= hold fire). If the squad members know this 'larger picture' they tend to know when and when not to fire.

However as you rightfully put, some will ignore your commands to disengage and you need to treat these players like a 'rabid dog on a leash'. These players can be best utilised 'on-point'. If they want to bring the heat onto themselves, let them, but at a safe position from the bulk of the squad. It's the 'drifters' i.e. doing their own thing, that I tend to kick more readily than the 'over-eager' players.

I've always found the "The Gamers You Lead" points in the 'Leadership' section of Dslyexcxi's Tactical Guide to be a great guide for squad leading.

Ow when I mean people that don't disengage, I don't mean hothead die-hards, since I am sort of one myself - I'll take a strong quick charge over a complicated flank anytime. I meant the drifters by saying that - people that sort-of are in your squad, but don't maintain the formation, barely really follow orders like disengage or stay and cover, ect. They are close enough that you feel like that you shouldn't kick them - they usually still are on the comms, but far away enough to be a pain in the .

Bogarts
Newb
Newb
In-game Name: Bogarts

Postby Bogarts » 22 Aug 2015, 19:25

Add some point about proper naming of squad like "ENG mic mech inf" or like that, so other people, who look for free-kit-squad, would expect to be kicked.

And make sure that members follow your orders or are able to explain why they dont.

Alan
Community Confidant
Community Confidant
In-game Name:

Postby Alan » 23 Aug 2015, 09:17

Bogarts wrote:Add some point about proper naming of squad like "ENG mic mech inf" or like that, so other people, who look for free-kit-squad, would expect to be kicked.

And make sure that members follow your orders or are able to explain why they dont.

Part of the problem right now is that by the time you kick them they already have the kit so they don't care.

But we have some things in the works for this, such as removing the kit if the player leaves the squad or gets kicked (with some conditions to keep it from being abused) and eventually we aim to have a overall team commander who can act like a quartermaster assigning roles and assets to squads. In that way the squads that are not playing the game and following orders will be stuck with iron sights. But right now these features are a long way off.

Gunther.S
Admin
Admin
In-game Name:

Postby Gunther.S » 23 Aug 2015, 13:54

I am one of the pro CoC + quartermaster control of useful s*** on the field but this
we aim to have a overall team commander who can act like a quartermaster assigning roles and assets to squads.
is still in discussion phase and not even decided on yet. I hope it does go through though because will add a unique feature to TacBF, passively create leadership, and solve some of those problems mentioned.

Return to “Tactics and Tutorials”